Pope Francis has declared October 2019 to be an Extraordinary Month of Mission
100 years ago, Pope Benedict XV released the encyclical Maximum Illud, which called on Catholics to bring the Good News to all peoples (Missio Ad Gentes).
This special month of prayer and action calls us all to renew our missionary commitment. We are called to share the Good News of Jesus Christ with all peoples.
How do Mission Doctors share the Good News with all people?
Serving in response to their faith as BAPTIZED members of our community, Mission Doctors, –
Sharing professional skills as they are SENT to be a sign of God’s love.
Missionaries are SENT by all of us who make their mission possible.
The Pope reminds us that our faith is not a private one. “We received this gift freely and we share it freely (cf. Mt10:8), without excluding anyone. God wills that all people be saved by coming to know the truth and experiencing his mercy through the ministry of the Church, the universal sacrament of salvation (cf. 1 Tim 2:4; Lumen Gentium, 48).”
Striving to heal people’s physical ailments as do Mission Doctors, is one such ministry that allows people to experience the freedom to know God’s love.
- Let us pray this month that more people will be called by God and will respond with faith to serve as missionaries.
- Let us pray for missionaries serving throughout the world, that their faith will be strengthened as they reflect the love of God to all people.
- Let us pray that all who send missionaries, through their prayers and financial support, will recognize their connection to this work to share the love of God.
- Let us act to break down barriers between people, striving to recognize each one as a child of God, and reflect this truth for all.
- Let us act to bring about justice for all people, speaking always for the intrinsic worth of every human life, that all may live lives reflecting the reality that each person is loved by God beyond measure.
- Let us act to help all people become aware of their role in this great unfinished work that brings light where there is darkness; freedom where there is bondage; faith when there is doubt; unity where there is division; love where there is none.
We are Baptized and Sent!